Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

My plant is Growing


The weather hasn't been great for my tomato plant, but it is still growing.  Once the tomato plants are about 3' tall, I will remove the leaves from the bottom 1' of stem. These are usually the first leaves to develop fungus problems. They get the least amount of sun and soil born pathogens can be unintentionally splashed up onto them. I've also sprayed them weekly with compost tea wish seems to be effective at warding off fungus diseases. I've Pinch and remove suckers that develop in the crotch joint of two branches. They won’t bear fruit and will take energy away from the rest of the plant.  I take it easy on pruning the rest of the plant. You can thin leaves to allow the sun to reach the ripening fruit, but it’s the leaves that are photosynthesizing and creating the sugars that give flavor to your tomatoes. Tomatoes

5 comments: