Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Choosing the best seed and Preparing my seed



Who would have known, unless of course you were trying to grow a masterpiece of a tomato; like myself, that such a plant or to be more precise, my tomato plant, had options when it came to what seeds to buy.  One option being, the Hybrid seed (Unhealthy), as you can see through the link I provided; ain't "NO" masterpiece growing from those seeds.  So, I decided to brake down my options between two other seeds, the Heirloom seed (Proven Healthy), and the Openly Pollinated seed (Basically- same as Heirloom, but without the proven history).  If you washed the links, then you won't be surprised that I chosed the Heirloom seed.  Basically, the Heirloom seed has years of proven performance to back my choice.  Okay, now came the fun part, I got me a heirloom tomato and cut it in half as shown in my first blog.  Next came to scoop out the pulp with seeds from the tomato.  I then put the seeds in a clean bowl.  Now, here lies the importance, from what I researched of growing tomatoes; this next step is very necessary to prevent "seed-borne" diseases, that can kill the plant later.  Fermenting the seeds; in other words, letting mold develop in the seed itself.  Fermenting, destroys seed-borne diseases that would have appeared later.  After fermenting the seeds I washed them in fresh water mixed with drops of salt and vinegar.  I left them in a dish for a few hours and then I placed them in the refrigerator on a plastic container.  Now I have to wait 1 or 2 weeks, before continuing to my next step.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh sounds like a lot of work to do! Good luck on growing your tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomatoes are really good and it takes alot of maintenance, good luck bro

    ReplyDelete