Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My Personal Growth project

I truly enjoy growing things. Just this year, I made it a project to start my own little garden. I live in a very rural and dry area. Currently, I am growing strawberries, sweet banana wax peppers, carrots, cilantro, and basil. My banana pepper plant really took off and has out grown my netting. My strawberries produced about 10 strawberries at the begining of the summer and has only produced a few since then. I used a small sprout greenhouse to start off my carrots, basil, and cilantro. I didn't harden them off correctly, so I didnt get the results I desired. I mentioned earlier that my peppers have out grown my netting. Well I have to use netting because of the area I live in. I have many wild animals that come into my yard on a daily basis, such as cotton tail bunnies, squirels, racoons, coyote, and the usual cats and dogs. I covered my two planters with netting and it has sufficiently kept out the rabits, but I have noticed that I have flies that can get into my netting but not out resulting in the flies eating my basil leaves. I have not fully decided what I want to plant for this project but I know I have to put some work into my garden and pull some of the other plants and redo my netting before it is ready for me to plant new things. I somewhat want to do cucumbers or pumpkins. Any opinions?

2 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say pumpkins because Halloween is coming up and you can carve it with your family or some friends.

    ReplyDelete